Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Great tip for "endless" knitting

I was reading the current issue of Knit 'n Style, and an article by Jack Lewis caught my eye. He wrote about how some projects can seem impossible to finish because there is so much more knitting to be done (and how that is a likely point of abandonment).

His solution is to break down large projects into smaller pieces and tell himself something like: "Just 4 more rows and I'll be done with the waist shaping.". He says he breaks down a sweater into 20 or more components and ALWAYS takes a break after finishing a "section".

I thought about the Moderne Log Cabin and its seemingly endless rows of garter stitch. I analyzed what was left to knit, and realized that if I knit 10 rows every week, I would be done in early December, plenty of time before Christmas.

I decided to start today. Instead of knitting 2 rows a day for the next 5 days, I knit 10 rows today. The blanket has been put aside for now, and I am that much closer to finishing it.

The best part is I feel a sense of accomplishment, and I look forward to my next 10 row installment (I will finish block #8 at that time).

No comments: