Friday, February 19, 2010

Olympic Update

This will be quick, since I'm already WAY behind on my self-imposed schedule. Between last post and this, I finished my cardigan (except for buttons) and another Barn-Raising Quilt square. I also did an extensive gauge swatch prior to the torch lighting and ended up dropping two needle sizes. My plan was to complete the sleeves (1/3 of the knitting) by the end of the day on Wednesday.

If I knit like a demon for the rest of the day and evening, I might finish the second sleeve before bed.

That's two days behind :(

My problems:

I forgot that a tight cast on is imperative for linen stitch (actually the first 10 rows or so as well) to avoid ugly flare. I ripped out and redid all of the opening night knitting.

I forgot that if I lengthened sleeves from 3/4 to full length and tapered the wrists, I just might have to change the rate of increases. Luckily, I caught this error by the elbow of sleeve #1, was only off in my increase positioning by 10 rows (gauge is 25 stitches and 42 rows to 4"), so speeding up the increases was my solution. Looking at sleeve #2, I think a small amount of blocking should make the discrepancy between the sleeves indiscernable.

I had other (non-knitting) activities planned for these two weeks, and none of them seem to be going away.

On the other hand, the fabric thus far is GORGEOUS! I will post a photo at some point.

Back to work...

No comments: